Wednesday 16 July 2014

Last Chance Picks



You know those products that you just don't fall in love with... but don't exactly hate either? Or the ones that you had such high expectations for, didn't get on with, but can't face admitting your distaste for? This post is all about those guys... being give one last opportunity to hold their own, or else move on out to pastures new.

First up is one that many, many bloggers seem to love, but my face just didn't seem to get on with. The Clarins Exfoliating Toner contains tamarind fruit acids, which are meant to brighten, exfoliate, and even reduce the appearance of pores. For some reason, I felt like this was just doing the opposite - my skin felt unpleasantly tighter, duller as opposed to brighter, and I swear to you, my pores just looked more noticeable than ever... I gave it three weeks to prove itself and my skin is now looking significantly better now this guy is no longer in my skincare rotation. I am gutted.

Another fail, even on the second time around, was Benefit's Porefessional Primer. I have mentioned previously that the first time I used this, my cheek decided to celebrate by breaking out spectacularly. It was not pretty. Quite the opposite in fact. Prior to testing this primer again, my skin had been a blemish free zone for at least three weeks... A day later, and a few little beauties had erupted on my chin. Thanks for nothin', Benefit. It also failed to win me over with amazing primer power. It's not a keeper for me.

This post does have a happy ending; all this facial abuse, courtesy of last two products - most especially the Clarins toner - meant that my final pick, Liz Earle's Brightening Treatment Mask, was at last given a chance to shine... and shine it did. It's not a Whoa-there-you're-glowing-like-a-disco-ball kind of product, but if your face is looking a bit drab and dour, a minute or so of this might add a little life to your skin. I had considered hoofing this guy, but for now he's passed the test and will be on reserve for duller days and maybe even hungover skin.

Are there any products that you just can't fall for, no matter how you try? I'd love to hear about them in the comment section!

No comments

Post a Comment

Just Bananas Makeup. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.